If seeking a degree in environmental sciences, there can be many questions such as where can I get college rankings? However, if you need answers to more specific environmental science questions, it can be hard to flag down a leader and ask him or her a question. If you have an internet connection and a Twitter account, it can be far easier.
To help get answers to both questions asked and yet to be asked, we have gathered 33 environmental scientists worth following on Twitter below. Organized mostly by number of current followers, they can help you do everything from getting an expert opinion on the latest news to innovative ways to go green.
Read the rest of this entry »
Read the rest of this entry »
One of the up and coming career fields is environmental science. There is a keen interest in finding solutions to a number of problems in our environment. From sustainable living and engineering, to energy use and policy, there are a number of ways that environmental science can offer insights into how we can be more responsible in the way we use our resources. You can find a positive future with an environmental science career. If you are interested in learning more about environmental science, and the possibilities available, you can read the following 50 environmental science blogs:
Read the rest of this entry »
Read the rest of this entry »
If your passion is environmental science, you’re no doubt looking for ways to be greener in your everyday life. Luckily, going green and staying green is easier than ever with the large number of web applications dedicated to helping us protect the environment. Check out these 19 web apps that environmental scientists will love.
For Your Android
- Ecorio: This great app allows you to track your carbon footprint and learn ways to reduce and offset it.
- News Environment: Search for news related to the environment with this application for your Android. This app is GPS enabled. This app is GPS enabled. Keep up with all the latest environmental news wherever you go.
- Quick News for Environment: Similar to the application above, but designed especially to provide local environmental news.
- Health News: This app offers news information about many health topics, including environmental health issues. This is a great app for those concerned particularly about health issues with environmental causes.
- Eco Footprint: Calculate your own carbon footprint and learn about ways to reduce it. Information is provided by the Wildlife Fund.
- No Dry Clean: Use this application to find cleaners who use alternative methods for clothes cleaning to help you avoid toxic dry cleaning processes.
- Easy Green Tips: Get tips every day on going green with this application. You’ll learn easy ways to reduce waste and save energy.
- Carbon Meter: This application tracks and logs your environmentally friendly activities, like walking somewhere instead of using your car. You can feel better every day about your green activities, and look for ways to increase them.
- Guide to Organic Gardening: This app helps you learn all about organic gardening so that you can grow vegetables, fruits and flowers without putting harmful chemicals into the ground. This app is great for beginning gardeners.
For Your iPhone
- Good Guide: Helps you find healthy, sustainable and safe products when you shop. You can locate stores and products quickly and easily by zip code.
- iRecycle: The most comprehensive reference of recycling information on the web.
- Greenspot: Get news and information about sustainability and green living.
- The Green Meter: This cool app computes your vehicle’s power and fuel usage and evaluates your driving to increase efficiency, reduce fuel consumption and cost, and lower your environmental impact.
- Greencard: Get rid of those paper business cards. Green card lets you create and send a digital business card.
- Go Organic!: This iPhone app helps you locate the organic food closest to you. Includes restaurants and grocery stores.
- Gorgeously Green Survival Guide: Get the scoop on environmentally friendly cosmetics and learn how to green up your home from Sophie, who has been all over television teaching women how to live greener. . Do you know, for example, if your shampoo was tested on animals?
- Meter Read: Track your home’s energy consumption and learn how you can reduce it.This app offers you a great way to save money at home, too.
- Green Outlet: Monitor your home’s energy use and rid yourself of those parasitic devices and other drains on energy with this app. This one really helps you save money, too.
- Green Map: This app helps you connect with others going green. Find the nearest farmer’s market, and other sites designed to help your community live a little greener.
You can certainly use these and other web apps like them to help you locate green resources, conserve energy, recycle and connect with other people and programs in your area that are dedicated to reducing our impact on the planet in both large and small ways. Sometimes, it’s not the big things we do that have a real impact, but rather the smaller things that add up. By using these web applications, you can make your life a little greener every day, which, over time, can make a big impact. When your career is environmental science, you certainly want to be able to feel good about what you’re doing everyday at your own home.
An environmentalist is a person or someone who supports the goal of the environmental movement. An environmentalist gets engaged into or believes into the philosophy of environmentalism. The most politically active environmentalist is that person who calls themselves green and has strong views on environment. The Green Parties is normally applied to that person who works as volunteers, activist or paid staff. Below is mentioned some interesting books for tree huggers.
- A Thousand-Mile Walk to the Gulf: This book is by John Muir the author who explored his thousand mile walk to the Gulf of Mexico half a century ago. This book show cases the temper and the comprehensiveness of Mr. Muir’s mind. This book proves him to be a parochial student of nature. He started on that journey even at the tender age of twenty nine that thus made him a citizen of the universe. And this is not the only journey by Mr. Muir in his earlier years. He roamed around the Great Lakes, in Ontario, and through parts of Wisconsin, Indiana, and Illinois. Over all these expeditions he trained himself to work harder for his notebook discloser of things. The fact that he often went hungry and slept in the woods, or on the open prairies, with no cover except the clothes he wore.
- Colonization and Environment: Land Settlement Projects in Central America: This book came into existence after the study carried out under the United Nations University Project on Resource Use of Frontiers and Pioneer Settlements. The main objective of this project was to determine the ecological impact of pioneer settlement. The project included an appraisal of the economic, political, and cultural factors bearing on frontier settlement, and an examination of the different interdependent variables involved from biophysical parameters to government action and policies.
- Global Warming: A Mind Mapper’s Guide to the Science and Solutions: This particular book on Global Warming tries to showcase the practical solution to the problem of global warming. In this easy to read book there total 10 chapters that are divided into four sections with importance to the topics as discussed into the book. The first section of the book tells us why we need to change in as it tries to explore human nature in the upfront of environmental problems of the modern world. The next section of the book looks at what there is needed to be changed in order to reduce impact of ecological change with successfully tackling climate change. The next section is being discussed about behavioral change strategies that can be taken in order to improve overall scenario for environment protection. And in the final section it has been revealed out and has been discussed who is making overall changes to these global environmental changes.
With the span of time, a new type of experimentation has been witnessed among environment activists; they have started social media as a way to proliferate their cause and achieve their goals. Now various environmental groups as well as non profit organizations are moving towards social media as a method to promote their cause and valuation.
With its manner to share stories and ideas on social media an environment group can develop its own online community. By the use of social media environment groups can develop and devote their own online community. They can employ it as medium for fund raising activities and for other mean and ideas. Social media further let individuals to create, join and grow their groups around social media. Environmentalist, thus by engaging into online communities and online conversations thus grow more and can reach to more people in numbers than ever before and that too making lesser amount of efforts.
More a social media allow environmental groups to connect and share information across institutional boundaries in fast paced manner and letting them being less expensive. More they can collaborate with their supporters with the help of crowd sourcing ideas, feedback and content for programs. The movies and documentaries made by them propagating their thought and ideas can be distributed by social media over various channels.
Next they can use social media as a method to raise commitment for creating a trend and method of target behavior on project mechanism basis. Though Written and verbal commitments are good, yet public commitments are best for the purpose and learning. In order to promote their cause they can employ stimulus activities and packages as to go and lead through the goals. In their goal they can remain positive and prompting. Environmentalist can form a sort of social approval and status in their communities. They can appoint some other members to observe the target behavior of others.
As a method to further communicate their ideas and thoughts activist can made vivid, sensing posters, flyers, ads, signs, PSA, etc. The message that is communicated to the audience by the help of social media should be tailored to the audience need. Even go to extent of providing incentives on your environment campaign in form of rewards, privileges and social approval. Pilot the project to a small group of community members. Adjust strategies as necessary, pilot again to a different small group, then go community-wide. Finally also keep on observing whatever you have done till on your social media platform with respect to result and this way you can integrate social media to environment.
This is a degree program that deals with issues involving the application of physical, chemical and biological principles. These are applied to physical environmental study and environmental problem solutions. In other words, this degree can be said to be the gateway through which human society and the natural environment interact through natural resource management. In other words, this degree can be said to have been created to cater for the issue of engineers and scientists to assist in the development of international, local and national environmental policy.
This degree is applicable by those people who have successfully completed undergraduate degrees in Biology, Anthropology, Engineering, chemistry, Mathematics, Physics, Astronomy and geology. It is one of those degrees which will offer opportunities for professional training in such a way that the graduates will have acquired the necessary training to enable them work in quite complex environmental situations. It is worth noting that those who graduate with this degree usually get jobs in the Geo science sectors.
Geo science is mostly involved with scientists being in a position to predict the behavior of earth systems and the universe, besides being in a position to understand the global climate patterns. In essence, Geo scientists are involved in taking care of the world’s environment and resources. When it comes to matters associated with the environment, Geo scientists in this sector will be obligated to deal with problems which are associated with issues such as waste management and pollution, as well as urbanization and natural hazards like erosion and flooding.
When it comes to research, graduates who hold masters in environmental science are required to participate in those that will help make an impact in regard to issues that affect the relationship between human life and the environment. Note that as soon as they get to some certain point during the process of pursuing their master’s in environmental science programs, most of these graduates are required to ensure that they have some strong grounding in a specific area such as toxicology, risk assessment, water resources, applied ecology etc
From the onset, a master’s in environmental science is a discipline which deals with solving problems that are associated with the environment, as it combines some core aspects of the courses that are related with environment. And with the technological; advancement that has been experienced in the recent past, it is quite practical for you to study for a masters degree in environmental science on line, which means that you will not be required to interrupt your working schedule.
There are quite a number of institutions the world over which are involved in offering the degree, and they do it at different costs and through different methods. It is important for you to first check them out before settling on any of them.